Thirty-three million people have dentures across a range of ages and for various reasons. Dentures are removable appliances used to replace missing teeth. They stay in your mouth by being closely adapted to your gums but you are still able to take them out at night and for cleaning.
Dentures remain a cost effective option to get the smile you desire when you have missing teeth. However, one of the biggest problems with dentures is that they can cause the gum irritation, are loose and drop down if they are not constructed carefully. The great news is, with advances in Implant dentistry, Dental implants can be used in conjunction with dentures to help overcome some of these issues. Many people opt for this as the effect of implants when wearing dentures can be known to make a significant improvement to classic denture problems. If you’re thinking of having dentures in York, including with implants, here is some more information for you.
Stabilising Dentures with Dental Implants
Dentures stay in place by being closely adapted and sitting on your gums, however, if dentures become loose it’s important to get this looked into as soon as possible. To ensure that your dentures fit and give you the best results, many people choose to have dental implants fitted. Dental implants are small screws which are placed into the jawbone, to act as the root for a missing tooth. Although it is a more expensive option requiring some investment, it is becoming more popular as people say the results are much more effective and can improve their quality of life.
Using implants for your dentures has multiple benefits:
- Supporting the dentures and making them less likely to become loose. This decreases the irritation that some people with badly fitted dentures experience.
- Speaking will be easier as you don’t have to worry about your dentures slipping around in your mouth.
- Eating becomes easier as you don’t need to worry about your dentures coming out while you are chewing. You can enjoy a wider variety of food because it increases the power of your bite.
Taking Care Of Your Dentures
If you have dentures, it is important to learn how to take of them. When you first have dentures fitted, your dentist will instruct you in the way best ways to take care of them:
- Clean them as regularly as normal teeth; twice a day. Make sure you don’t brush too vigorously, but do ensure you remove bits of food. The British Dental Health Foundation have an in-depth guide on how to clean dentures properly.
- Take your dentures out at night, unless your dentist otherwise tells you. For example, you should leave them in overnight when they are first fitted. This allows your gums to rest and be exposed to saliva.
- Ensure you visit the dentist on a regular basis for a check up, just as you would with normal teeth. A dentist will check the health of your gums and they will also take a look at the surrounding soft tissue. Furthermore, if at any point you feel discomfort from your dentures, you should see your dentist. Often people think if they dont have teeth they dont need to see a dentist, however as part of a check up an oral cancer screening is important to have regularly.
Fresh Dental Smile Clinic in York can guide you through the process of getting dentures in York and stabilising them with dental implants if required. As an award-winning surgery, we specialise in dental excellence, creating beautiful smiles in a relaxing environment by using the latest techniques. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service, treatment and aftercare. Call for a Free Consultation today on 01904 623687.